Cell phone use is creating neck and back problems in so many people, young and old. Don’t negate your Pilates workouts with bad cell phone posture.
Here are some tips:
- Raise your arm up to your face rather than tilt your face down to your hand. Use your other arm to support your cell phone hand. This seems to make great sense, but how many times to you duck your head instead of raising your arm?
- Sit on your “sit bones”to help create a taller spine. Start good posture at your base and you are more likely to keep it through your spine.
- Teach your kids to do the same. They may not listen all the time, but eventually it will sink in. Something I have learned as a Pilates teacher is that most of the adults who come to me with better posture into older age tell me that their mom “nagged” them to “stand up straight” and it stuck.
- Stretch your chest and neck to combat the daily forward position of your head.
- Keep up with a regular Pilates routine :)