Pilates is based on movement from the center of the body, as are most shots in golf. It strengthens the center of the body, also known as the core (the trunk, shoulder girdles and pelvis).
Core strength can improve hip rotation, range of motion in the shoulders and back stability leading to more powerful and accurate golf shots. It is also a full body exercise that works all muscles and is easy on the joints. The end result is a flexible, symmetrically muscled body that is strengthened from the inside out.
- A stronger and more stable core helps golfers:
- Attain an optimal backswing and follow-through with increased range of motion in shoulders
- Get more distance and power because of added hip and torso flexibility
- Have a stronger and bigger hip turn for greater power through rotation
- Create a smoother and more powerful swing due to evenly conditioned back muscles
- Maximize balance and alignment while rotating
- Decrease fatigue because of less strain on the body
- Hold a body position long enough to play through a shot
- In addition to strengthening your core, Pilates also:
- Builds up the back muscles evenly
- Elongates and aligns the spine for better stability
- Strengthens the abdominals
- Increases overall flexibility, strength, and balance
- Increases range of motion in hips and shoulders
- Enhances concentration through focused breathing
If enhancing your golf game is important to you, then give us a call at 860-305-7441 or email us and find out more about what our Pilates studio has to offer.